26 July 2009

Weekend Travels continued



Today we went to another ceremonial center, called Caguana. It has much larger petroglyphs (rock carvings) and more batey (ball courts), as well as what may be a larger plaza (though I'm not convinced).

Then we went to these amazing caverns at Rio Camuy. Instead of describing both of these places in words, I'm just showing the pictures--they're more effective and I'm exhausted! Plus, I need to get up in 8 hours to dig for 8 more hours tomorrow!


This is Iriri, who created women out of androgynous beings:



And here is some of our group, from left:
Angel (checking pictures), Proxy (texting his friends), Hector (who has requested to be called Lisa in this blog, for the sake of confusion), Daniel (I think... hiding behind Hector), Miguel (who never lets us take his picture), Antonio (hidden behind Miguel, Lisa (who we call Lisa Lisa, to distinguish her from the other two Lisas--The Lisa and Lisa the 3rd, and Lisa Hector), and Mayra (who you've seen before).

Here are Lisa Lisa and Carmen, in front of this beautiful seba tree. In Mayan lore, an enormous Seba tree holds up the entire world. I have a picture with it too, but it's on someone else's camera... I'll post it later.








And the caverns...

















































2 comments:

  1. These pictures are stunning!! I am so jealous - keep the updates coming. I miss you!

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete