09 July 2009

Welcome to my blog!

Hello! Thanks for stopping by. I'll be trying to keep this site updated, so that any of my friends, family, co-workers, and frenemies can keep up-to-date on my activities!

The current title of the blog, "Puerto Rico Suave" is courtesy of Micah Ian Smith (thank you!) and refers to my current adventure... digging in Puerto Rico!

I will be doing fieldwork at the ancient ceremonial center of Tibes, which is located in south central Puerto Rico, just north of Ponce (the second largest city on the island), about 8 km inland. This site was occupied (we think) from about AD 300 - 1200, by pre-Taino people. Two cultures (probably composed of one group of people over time) were present at the site: the Cedrosan Saladoid (AD 300-600) and the Elenan Ostionoid (AD 600-1200).

That's all for now. I'll be leaving on Sunday morning, 12 July 2009!

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck... Enjoy the experience and make the best of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good time. Hope to see you in Gaza sometime in the near future (as in, the New Year's Peace March).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathryn! Nice blog you got going here. I see that you've got a little notice on the side there about a trip to Gaza..(!) Ahh! I'dust about give anything to go to Gaza (well, pretty much just to return to Palestine at all..have you ever been? I see from your spacebook that you're into SJP stuffs a lot) I've literally dreamed of going there, but 2-3k$ to get there and only be allowed to stay for 24 hours (if you even get in) is just out of my reach. So I wanted to ask you about it. Are you talking about the New Year's Day thing with Finkelstein? (If so, I have to wonder, despite it being a phenomenal show of support and solidarity, there's no way in hell Egypt will ever let them in, no matter how hard they push. I cant really see it ever going beyond a rally outside the walls of Gaza and I wonder if that is really worth $1000s in travel) Or is there another Viva convoy that I'm not aware of? (I know they've got one from the UK on Oct)

    Anyway, keep up the updates and have fun in PR! (And you could try replying to messages/emails once in a while...pretty please :( lol)

    ReplyDelete